Governing legislation:Trade Marks Act and Regulations, Cap.13.30
What do you need to register a trademark
Application for Registration (Form 1)
Authorization of Agent (Form 2)
Steps to registering a trademark
- Appoint an agent who will submit the application and Authorization of Agent on your behalf. The minimal fee for lodging an application is $100.00 plus $5.00 for the authorization of agent. Fees will be higher depending on the type of mark and whether the application contains multiple classes.
- The application must include a representation of the trade mark that is sufficient to identify the trade mark. contain a representation of the trademark.
- The applicaiton must contain the class (es) of goods/services for which the trademark is sought to be registered.
- The trademark will contain other information such as the applicant's details, whether colour is claimed, any limitations of disclaimers that need to be applied as a condition to the registration.
- The Registry will examine the application to decide whether the trade mark is capable of distinguishing the goods/services from those of other traders and this eligible for registration.
- The Registrar will issue an examination report as to whether the mark is accepted for registration or whether there are deficiencies in the application that need to be addressed.
- If the trade mark is accepted for registration, the acceptance will be published in the Gazette informing of same and inviting third parties to oppose the registration by filing Notice of Opposition with the Registry.
- At the end of the three-month opposition period, the Registrar will determine whether any oppositions were filed. If there is no opposition, the trade mark will proceed to registration and a certificate or registration will be issued to the applicant through the agent.
- if there is opposition to the registration of the trade mark, the opposition procedure will proceed until the registrar issues a decision or the parties (applicant and opponent) come to an agreement through negotiations.
The above information is a general summary of the trade mark registration process. For further information on the requirements and process please consult with one of our Trade Mark Agents /Attorneys or visit the following link for detailed information about Trade Marks.
List of Trade Mark Attorneys
Gordon, Gordon & Co.
#10 Manoel Street, Castries
Tel: (758) 452-2311
Nicholas John & Co.
Hewanorra House, Trou Garnier Financial Centre,
Pointe Seraphine, Castries, Saint Lucia
Tel: (758) 451-9237
Chong & Co.
#27 Micoud Street, Castries
Tel: (758) 452 3040
Mc Namara & Co
#20 Micoud Street, Castries
Tel: (758) 452 2662
Rodney Bayside, Bldg, Gros Islet
Tel: (758) 453-7777
Floissac Fleming & Associates
Cnr. Brazil & Mongiraud Sts, Box 722, Castries
Robin Kelton Bldg, Choc Bay PO Box Gm 763, Castries
Tel: (758) 453 1100
Glitzenhirn, Augustin & Co. Bourbon House, Bourbon St., Castries
Tel: (758) 451-6355
Deterville, Thomas & Co.
Chaussee Road, Castries
Tel: (758) 452 1152
TM Antoine Partners
Suite 1 Napa Bldg, John Compton Hwy, P.O. Box GM1004, Castries
Tel: (758) 453-2000
#10 Bridge Street, P.O. Box Choc, 8033, Castries, LC02 108, Saint Lucia
George & Co.
Cox Building, Cadet Street, Castries
Tel: (758) 451 8754
Richelieu & Company
46 St. Louis Street, Castries
Tel: (758) 452-4515